Battery technology is advancing quickly, and performance has been rising while costs decline. All of those factors make batteries an attractive option for many companies looking to decrease their carbon footprint as well as their monthly energy bills.
When paired with a Solar PV system, batteries can help companies reduce their energy costs even further—or, in some cases, entirely eliminate their electrical bills. Battery technology is advancing quickly, and performance has been rising while costs decline. All of those factors make batteries an attractive option for many companies looking to decrease their carbon footprint as well as their monthly energy bills.
Most commercial batteries are no different from the batteries in cell phones—just larger. Both types of batteries use the same lithium-ion system to store energy, but the type of battery used with solar installations in commercial settings are the size of a refrigerator. Depending on the company’s energy storage needs, there might be more than one battery or container of batteries (size dependent)at each site. The latest technology, Vanadium Flow batteries, is also becoming a viable solution for larger scale (500kW and up) energy storage systems. With a distinct advantage of having zero flammable liquids, it is an attractive solution when implementing at manufacturing sites, schools, and municipalities.
Batteries work with solar pv systems to store energy when the solar pv system is producing more energy than the company is consuming, and to then discharge the energy when solar production is lower than overall energy needs. This can also be adjusted and customized to the customers needs and wants.
Here are some common ways that companies take advantage of battery systems to lower their overall energy charges.
- Reduce peak use. For most companies, installing a solar pv system reduces the peak energy use, but a battery system can reduce demand charges even further by flattening out energy usage and using stored energy from the battery for spikes in energy usage.
- Reduce time-of-use charges. Battery systems can be charged during low-demand times and discharged when energy is most expensive, saving substantially on time-of-use charges.
- Store solar energy for a rainy day (or after dark). Store energy from solar pv systems to use at specific times of day when the solar pv system isn’t producing electricity, such as in the evening or early morning.
- Provide backup power. Battery systems can also be used to provide back-up power for up to 8 hours, insulating the company from temporary disruptions in the power grid.
- Get off-grid. If paired with a powerful solar PV system, a battery storage system could allow the company to eliminate dependence on the electrical grid altogether.
Northwest Edison provides:
- Comprehensive site evaluation and planning for your battery storage system and/or solar PV system, including how the two systems will work optimally together given the specifics of your location.
- Design and engineering of your battery storage system, including helping you choose the correct type and size of based on your goals for the battery storage system.
- Installation, troubleshooting and ongoing maintenance of battery storage systems.
Northwest Edison helps companies reduce their dependence on the electrical grid and decrease their carbon footprint while also saving money on their electrical bill every month. We can develop a customized solar pv and battery storage plan that will meet your company’s energy goals.